What To Expect With Planning

Planning cannot always be as straightforward as expected. With planning policies varying and changing on a frequent basis, it can be somewhat more complicated. This is something we advise clients to consider when purchasing a property or land.

Permitted Development

There are certain works you can undertake via permitted development (The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England Order 2015) without needing to apply for planning permission. This can include extending your home or changing the use. For example, an agricultural building to a dwelling house.

Lawful Development Certificate

There are two kinds of Lawful Development Certificates. One which confirms that “an existing use of land, or some operation development, or some activity being carried out in breach of a planning condition is lawful for planning purposes” or that “a proposed development or change of use would be lawful by virtue of permitted development regulations”.

Householder Applications

Householder applications are for those who are seeking to alter or enlarge their homes or introduce new built form within a residential curtilage.

Listed Building Consents

Listed building consents are required where any works are proposed both internally, externally and within the listed curtilage. This ensures buildings which are listed retain their special architectural and historic interest. Where a listed building is proposed to be enlarged, an additional application will be required to assess the material planning consideration outside of the proposed heritage impacts.

Outline Planning And Reserved Matters

Outline planning application seek to establish the principle of a development without having to decide all other matters. These matters are called reserved matters and include the following details: Access, Appearance, Landscaping, Layout and Scale. Once outline planning is granted, reserved matters must be applied for to obtain the full permission.

Full Planning

Full planning consent applies to all other planning applications; this can include commercial or domestic and requires full details of the proposal to be submitted. For example, applications for a replacement home or an additional home on your site would require full planning. Similarly, an application for a change of use (outside of permitted development rights) or an application for a new community building would require full planning.

My wife and I have worked with Shaun Tanner on a number of very challenging projects. Shaun understood our brief and the ensuring collaborative effort resulted in many inspiriting aspects to all our projects. He could always be relied on to come up with creative solutions that provided great value to the final project.

New Riverside Home
3 Thames Court, 2 Richfield Avenue, Reading RG1 8EQ
© 2024 STL Architecture Website Design by mc+co in partnership with Lime Blue Solutions

Our website uses cookies to help improve your experience.
Find out more by reading our Cookies Policy.